Yoga is one of the most common fitness areas in the world. However, at first the classes may seem strange and very incomprehensible, especially if you are surrounded by people who have devoted a certain long part of their life to this business. Their abilities may seem inhuman and impossible. Because of this, many lose their positive attitude and begin to feel insecure.
Yoga is a popular fitness area that combines breathing, exercise and meditation. Having come to us from India over a hundred years ago, yoga has long been famous for its physical and spiritual benefits.
Studies show that yoga can help cope with stress, relieve depression and anxiety, improve mood and improve sleep quality. In addition, yoga has been shown to increase flexibility, improve balance and coordination, reduce pain and increase strength.
A typical yoga lesson lasts from 45 to 90 minutes and begins with breathing exercises as a warm-up, the main part is a sequence of asanas and the lesson usually ends with meditation.
Types of Yoga – choose your yoga balance poses
There are so many varieties of yoga in the world that even the most experienced instructor will not be able to remember even half of them. Practices in yoga can pursue different goals: complete relaxation, relaxation or composure and cheerfulness. Depending on what result you want to get, choose this kind of yoga.
- Hatha Yoga helps you deal with stress. Familiarity with this type of yoga is best to start with the classic simple asanas. At the initial stage, special devices will be great helpers: bricks, blocks, belts, ropes, bolsters.
- Ashtanga Vinyasa. Just nine dynamic asanas (vinyasas) will help burn about 500 calories in an hour of training. Just imagine: just an hour on a yoga mat and you no longer have a conscience for eating a bar of chocolate – you have already worked it out.
- Power Yoga or Power Yoga. Great cardio loads for those who want to lose weight. Asanas in yoga in this case are not necessarily performed in any particular sequence.
- Yin Yoga. Special yoga for calm and relaxation. Poses are mostly sedentary or recumbent. Perfect for a phlegmatic type of people who do not care about dynamics.
- Iyengar. Particular attention in such classes is given to the correct location of the body in space. Perfect for pregnant women, the elderly and people who need to solve health problems. In just three months, Iyengar Yoga can help get rid of chronic back pain.
- Bikram or “hot” yoga. Classes are necessarily held in a room with an air temperature of about 40 ° C. At such an air temperature, reminiscent of the Indian climate, muscle elasticity increases significantly, the body becomes more flexible, supple, and extra pounds literally melt before our eyes. The main thing is not to forget to grab a towel for such classes, without it you will not be very comfortable here.
- Kundalini Yoga. The main task here is to awaken the energy of the “curled snake”. This “awakening” is achieved by performing dynamic and static asanas, as well as singing mantras.
- Jivamukti. American yoga. One type of asanas is assigned for one week, i.e. a week they work on standing poses, a week sitting ones, another week lying down, and then inverted poses.
- Antigravity or aero yoga. Classes are held in a hammock. Inverted and classic asanas are performed in this way without loading the spine.
- Yogalates. This is a mixture of yoga and Pilates. Your body will become flexible and strong several times faster!
Yoga Breathing – Yoga For Everybody
Breathing in yoga is one of the important places.
Breathing is a process that we pay very little attention to. It happens automatically, without the participation of consciousness, but at the same time, most people breathe incorrectly. But how can one breathe incorrectly if breathing is a spontaneous action of our body? The answer is that our respiratory muscles become lazy and stop providing the optimal rhythm of inspiration and expiration.
A whole concept is concluded in yogic breathing, where inhalation and exhalation are some of the tools to control your emotions, psyche, and spiritual state.
Yogic breathing is one of the methods of working with energy. Proper breathing during yoga allows you to go beyond the usual perception of the world. This is a bridge that connects the spiritual and physical world of man. Extreme concentration on exhalation and inhalation allows you to enter the necessary meditative state. It is in this state that the performance of asanas will be of high quality and will bring the necessary result.
Yoga Full Body Poses
The first word that a person hears when starting to do yoga is “asanas.” At first, it may seem strange, not familiar. But, in fact, everything is not so complicated: asanas are comfortable and stable postures in yoga.
The number of asanas is huge, according to ancient sources, there are more than 8 million. But the most important and useful are about a hundred. Some are invaluable for lower back pain, others for joint problems, while others work well with the intestines, kidneys, and lymphatic system. There are such asanas that are difficult to classify, since they are healing for the whole body and are suitable for almost everyone. Moreover, asanas affect not only physical health, but also the emotional state of a person. They help with depression, stress, restore calm, joy, give a lot of energy.
Poses are also divided according to the type of impact: there are twisting, stretching, inverted, standing, lying poses.
Yoga Accessories – Yoga Essentials For Comfortable Workout
As long as your classes are irregular, for example, you regularly attend group classes, you can use common equipment (mats, belts, rollers, etc.), but if training becomes part of your life and you are determined to make yoga your constant “companion”, You should get your own equipment for classes, which is easier to keep clean. After all, you often have to lean against these objects with parts of the body or even with your face.
The mat (yogamat) must be the right size. Correct size refers to the length of the accessory. It should be 15 cm bigger. The optimum thickness is 5 mm. The topcoat determines water absorption. If you sweat a lot, then moisture will cause gliding and your performance will decrease. In this case, you need to choose a rug coated with natural fabrics (cotton, rubber, material based on jute fibers). Cheaper models are made on the basis of PVC, latex, which is also suitable for classes.
The belt is necessary for the correct performance of asanas, stabilizing the position during the performance of a static exercise, and reducing the risk of injuries. The belt for classes is chosen by length, and you need to focus on growth. With an average height (165-175 cm), the length of the belt should be 190 cm. If the height is above average, you will need a model from 200 cm long. Remember the main rule – let the belt be longer than shorter. The bulk of the belts are made of cotton or nylon. The first is environmentally friendly, the second – resistance to pollution. Remember that during the performance of the asanas, the belt is in direct contact with the skin, so when buying, you need to focus on tactile sensations.
Blocks are a fairly necessary subject for classes, especially for those who do not have enough stretching. For example, with their help, you can reach with your hands to the floor to complete the asana or create support. Consider the weight of the bricks, as you will have to carry them with you, the lightest of foam or cork, the heaviest – wooden and bamboo.
What To Wear (Tight Yoga Pants Vs Running Pants)
Choose comfortable stretchy pants or shorts and a tight-fitting top that won’t fly above your head every time you flip. You do not need special shoes, because yoga is done barefoot. You can also wear a pair of non-slip yoga socks.
Contraindications – Dangers Of Yoga
Do not forget that the practice of yoga has contraindications in relation to a number of diseases:
- mental disorders
- organic heart lesions
- blood diseases
- musculoskeletal infections
- severe head injuries
- spinal injuries
- malignant neoplasms
It should be noted that even in the cases listed here, the correct practice of yoga can bring a positive effect, but only under the guidance of an experienced instructor (yoga therapy course) and preferably individually.
There are many myths regarding the practice of yoga. But these are only myths, not reality. Believe it or not, yoga is not just for girls. You do not need to be flexible to do yoga. Yoga is not a religion. Yoga is not “too complicated” or “too easy.” Yoga is not just for vegetarian hippies. Yoga suits everyone, and yoga can fit into any lifestyle.